Coastal Property for Sale in Encinitas, California
West of I-5
For Multi-unit Development (up to 4 units), Lot Split, Investment, or Major Remodel
Neighborhood Homes Range From $1.1M - $2.5M
2061 Mackinnon Ave., Cardiff by the Sea, CA 92007
This property resides west of I-5 in
Cardiff by the Sea, a beach community located in Encinitas,
California. This area is highly rated for its
beaches and surfing and lies 24 miles north of downtown San Diego and just 4 miles
north of the
Del Mar Fairgrounds, the home of the
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club racetrack.
A hours ride east brings one to the mountain community of
Julian or going just a bit further, the
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
And there is winter skiing about 3 hours to the north in the
San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains.
Other attractions just a short ride away: the world famous San Diego Zoo
and Safari Park, Balbo Park, Sea World, Mission Bay, and
This unique property consists of an approximately 1700ft2 home
built in 1956 on a large 15985ft2 lot consisting of two parcels. It
sits on the ridge of an ocean facing hill at an elevation of approximately
230', is about a 7/10 mi walk to the beach, and receives sunshine nearly the
full day. With a lot frontage of 155' it may be subdivided into three
conforming lots containing up to four units in total. We also believe that four
separate lots can be realized with a boundary adjustment, three conforming and
one non-conforming. The latter is currently being pursued with the intention
of offering the four lots for individual sale.
A survey was performed and registered with the County of San Diego in 2016
(Survey map appended after photos).
- A level lot with a 15"-22" north-south step along the property in the
- An approximate 45 degree downward slope behind the property
(east side); beyond which resides an apartment complex. That complex lays
well below the level of the property (approximately 60'-80' vertical
differential) so no adjacent structures are visible looking horizontal to
the rear. The result is complete privacy from the rear.
- The view to the east consists of trees rising from the adjacent property and the neighborhood on the east side of I-5.
- A panoramic view from a roof deck above any 2nd story including an ocean view.
- Swimming pool.
- The house is in poor condition having not been properly maintained for some time.
- A major remodel to create the dream home of your design on a large lot.
- Demolition and subdivision into two or three lots, or possibly four, for resale, or keep one
lot for your own custom home. Leverage the sale of the other lot(s) to
decrease the cost of your dream home.
- Subdivision into two through three, or possibly four lots, and construction of up to four
- Development of a four unit condominium.
- Minimum investment to make it suitable for renting as an income stream.
Simplified survey map:
Below is a preliminary map of the anticipated boundary adjustment to realize four lots; here labeled: 8, PAR 1 (lot 9), Par 2 (lot 10), and Par3:
A couple of development options are depicted below for one and three lot
configurations. A configuration of four separate homes on four lots is not shown:
Left - a potential lot split for two homes and a duplex
Right - a configuration for a four unit condominium
Aerial video downloads of the current lot and neighborhood. These are best viewed with Mozilla and may appear jittery with other browsers:
- view of house from the east, than eastward view
- close in view of house from the east, then westward view
- 360 degree pan
- northern view
- westward view from about roof level
- westward, then eastward view
- eastward view of lot
- lower eastward, then westward view
- low house view from south, then east
- souteastward view
- westward view of lot
- high westward view, then 360 pan
- southward view, than southwest view
- southward view, than northwest view
- 360 pan, from several blocks west of lot
- eastward facing lot view, then downward shot
- downward shot
Panoramic sweep and photos from a second floor view:
Panoramic sweep and photos from a roof deck view:
Record of Survey Map NO. 22271: